Frequently Asked Questions
WHY DOES MY STAIN SHOW VARIATIONS IN COLOR?
Winter freeze/thaw cycles can affect the color of your product. Our goal at Unique Stone is to produce a strong product made to withstand winter extremes, however proper maintenance is advised. And piece from our line that can hold water is subject to damage or color change if left out through the winter. We suggest bringing pieces inside or placing them off of the ground, pulling any drain plugs, and covering.
HOW DO I PUT MY FOUNTAIN TOGETHER?
If you encounter any difficulties assembling your fountain, please contact our office at 910.817.9450. We’ll be more than happy to assist you.
WHEN SETTING UP FOUNTAINS:
- Ensure that the pedestal is on a solid, level surface to prevent tipping.
- Level each piece as it is installed, using plastic or wood shims as necessary.
- Use clear silicone or putty between pieces to ensure water doesn’t leak down center of fountain.
ONCE YOUR FOUNTAIN IS UP & RUNNING:
- Keep all debris out of fountains and bowls.
- Clear pump of any debris that has accumulated around it.
- Add a capful of bleach, if desired, to the water to keep algae from forming.
HOW CAN I GET MY BOWL TO SIT LEVEL?
On occasion, you will need to use plastic shims to level the bowls of fountains or birdbaths. We recommend the plastic shims sold at your local hardware store.
CAN I SEAL MY CONCRETE?
You can most certainly seal your concrete. Any concrete sealer from your local hardware store should work fine. We suggest a matte sealer to prevent your product from taking on a shiny finish.
HOW DO I WINTERIZE MY CAST STONE?
If possible, bring any statuary, fountains, etc inside. If you must leave outside, drain any bowls that may hold water & cover. If your statuary is sitting directly on the ground, place treated lumber under each piece to lift it off the ground and protect against the winter freeze/thaw cycle.Unique Stone items are made of concrete, which has a tendency to expand and contract with temperature changes. Do not allow water to collect in the bowls of fountains, birdbaths, or planters when temperatures are below freezing. If you are unable to store your items inside during freezing weather, please protect them as follows:
- Drain and cover bowls with waterproof material to protect against moisture and freezing temperatures. If you live in conditions that are conducive to temperatures dipping below 20ºF, make sure the entire fountain is covered.
- Do not allow ice to form in any piece that can hold water.
- Do not allow pieces to stand in ice.
By following these instructions for every season, you will be able to enjoy our fountains and birdbaths for years to come.